Here is an overview of the meeting, I am going to use bullet points for this post:
- A right of way was approved for the new fire station at Woodsonia & 53rd St.
- The mayor recognized Josh Owen for his bravery in 2016; he received a gunshot wound for helping a woman who was being attacked at a WalMart.
- The council chose SpringSted Waters for the firm to help the council choose a new city manager.
- The council approved the appointment of James Kilmartin to the Board of Zoning Appeals; he will replace Matt Zimmerman.
- Federally Taxable Private Activity Revenue Bonds were issued for the Westbrooke Green Project.
- A Special Use Permit was issued for the new Scooters at the NE corner or 75th and Quivira.
- The city will permanently close the railroad crossing at 55th street (Martindale Rd & Johnson Drive).
Our next council meeting will be Feb 26th, 7:00pm, Shawnee City Hall.
The mayor recognized Craig Christopher for his heroic effort in saving a Shawnee family from a fire that broke out in their home. Mr. Christopher was driving home from work and smelled smoke. He was able to get the family out of their home at 3:00 am; he is a true samaritan!
The council heard information about the community block grants that the city receives from the government. We are able to provide area charities with money to help families in need. The council also approved the 2018 stormwater management program to continue looking at the city's aging sewers. We also approved the purchase of 11 new police vehicles, one new fire truck, and 8 new pieces of equipment for the Parks and Recreation + Public Works Departments.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns, please go to the contact me page on my website!
Have a great end of January!
Next City Council meeting is February 6th at 7:00pm